Question About Adding Background Information

Post all your Ultima Online and UOGuide related discussion topics here.
Deckard
Expert

Question About Adding Background Information

Postby Deckard » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:44 am

In the process of writing UO-related articles for my own website, I spend a lot of time prowling through the Internet Archive, looking through UO-related websites, some of which have been dead 5-10 years, as well as UO.com.

I come across a lot of sourced information about UO that I think is unique and interesting, such as when the UO community first discovered the 'Third Dawn' name and the domains that were registered and comments that developers were making that led everybody to guess the name or that something was going on. I added it to the Third Dawn page - everything after "The Third Dawn 3D Client was replaced by the Kingdom Reborn client, which was released on June 27, 2007. " in the 3D Client section:

http://www.uoguide.com/Ultima_Online:_T ... D_Client_2

JC suggested it be on a separate page since it's a lot of information and definitely could clutter up primary pages, but I also want to find out if people are interested in that kind of information.

As another example, I came across a quote from Sunsword in 1999 (UO Live Team - Lead Designer at the time) where he talked about how UO2 didn't pose a threat to UO, what was the thinking about it, and how he felt UO would last at least a decade.

I think JC is right in adding it to a new page as a "history of" rather than cluttering up the primary article, but I also want to see if people are interested in the historical stuff in the first place.

Deckard
Expert

Re: Question About Adding Background Information

Postby Deckard » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:47 am

And another question along those lines.

I also come across a lot of information about UO dev team changes, comments from the dev teams about design decisions, etc. Depending on the producer, they could be a very wordy bunch.

Right now, the developer listing is this:

http://www.uoguide.com/Game_Developer

With only a few individual pages:

http://www.uoguide.com/Jeremy
http://www.uoguide.com/Draconi
http://www.uoguide.com/Wilki

Would people be interested in more pages about designers? I've collected a lot of stuff, quotes from them about design decisions (which could be linked to the subjects they were talking about), as well as exact dates of their being added or dropped from dev teams.

I could also put together some pages about specific dev teams, such as the Renaissance team, etc. but those would be separate from the master developer listing.

Deckard
Expert

Postby Deckard » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:20 pm

And one other things, I have collected a lot of images of box art for UO products from all of the major online retailers over the years from various countries - Japan, Germany, etc.

Does that interest anybody? Some of it is low resolution, but it might still be interesting.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Box art can be added to the expansion pages.

Deckard, if you are enthusiastic about updating all the developer information you should do it. Many people, including myself, will enjoy reading it. However it wouldn't be something every player is looking for, so I would be careful about going into too much detail and burning yourself out.

If you focused more on the history of UO than all the facts about each developer, that would be read by a lot more people.

Nimuaq
Adept

Postby Nimuaq » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:49 pm

I tried to update the Game Developer page as often as I can yet I still dont know if it reflects the current staff accurately. My own consideration for individual staff pages were: only the Devs who are popular enough to write a nontrivial article about them should have individual pages. However, those one-sentence articles might be expanded later by other editors.

Deckard
Expert

Postby Deckard » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:37 am

A lot of the developers for each addition are still listed on Town.UO.com:

Google search of town.uo.com for credits

Maybe just copy in each of those pages and make them their own pages with links to the expansions and to the main developers page? That would be quick and cover everything up through Stygian Abyss. It doesn't address everybody, but it's fairly comprehensive.

Return to “UOGuide Bulletin Board”