UOGuide page bottom advertisements frustrate reading.

Post all your Ultima Online and UOGuide related discussion topics here.
TheRealMALDAR
Neophyte

Re: UOGuide page bottom advertisements frustrate reading.

Postby TheRealMALDAR » Wed May 10, 2017 3:46 am

It is all of the video ads. I just came to the site and went to two different pages and one pulled me back down to the ads 17 times in less than 30 seconds and the other page pulled me down 45 times in about 90 seconds. It is instantaneous. A lot of people on Stratics are complaining that it is happening to them and that the site is nearly unviewable. I don't know why it isn't happening for you. Maybe with admin rights, it doesn't happen to you. I'm sure we all appreciate your efforts to fix this.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Thu May 11, 2017 8:36 pm

I am loading the pages on a user not logged in with a cleared cache.

Can you link to the posts about it in Stratics? I can't find them.

Granyk
Neophyte

Postby Granyk » Sat May 27, 2017 8:27 pm

The ad choices are mildly controlled if you are logged into Google (gmail), so it is entirely possible to have a different set of available ads to show up for different individuals. I do not login to Google to save any configuration about ads with their 'ad[non-]sense'.

My initial recommendation for the ads in a sidebar frame mimics how it functions for hotmail - where the ads show up in a sidebar from on the right side of the page. I can scroll through my emails without any notable effects since the ad is always at the top in the from on the right. I scroll the center frame to peruse my email and it is all good. Since here on UOGuide we have the ads in the same page with the content, it forces seeing the ads each time the ad restarts and for several seconds while after the ad has started. After that initial period, I can view the UOGuide info (after scrolling back up to find my place) until the next ad cycle begins.

I do not believe that reporting the ads to Google will accomplish anything because the ads behave exactly as they wish. They force me to watch them for a short period of time with each iteration. Furthermore, we can't control Google, we just submit. I was hoping we could control UOGuide and redesign the main page layout... ;)

Thanks for looking into it. If you agree that something could be done I would be *so* happy!

Granyk

Kirthag
Neophyte

Postby Kirthag » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:06 am

Just hit this issue.
The ads are auto-running video advertisements.
It is particularly an issue when two of them auto-run at the same time.
FlashControl doesn't seem to affect them. :(
And sometimes (particularly the T2V.tv ads) will unpause and cause the page to jump to them.

Using Chrome. Adblocker is off for UOGuide right now...

Sponsors causing page jump (double video ads):
T2V.tv (especially prolific)
Similac (baby formula - edited.. sorry, it is not Pedialite)
IBM

sindyciaray
Neophyte

Postby sindyciaray » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:42 am

Am i missing a setting, or is this the nature of the new forums?

Return to “UOGuide Bulletin Board”