UOGuide page bottom advertisements frustrate reading.

Post all your Ultima Online and UOGuide related discussion topics here.
Granyk
Neophyte

UOGuide page bottom advertisements frustrate reading.

Postby Granyk » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:16 am

While ads appended to the bottom of UOguide pages have been in place for a long time, it seems to have had a few issues. Not long ago (guessing last year or so), the ads would have a long timeout and/or pages would become unresponsive. At least under that scenario the web pages would eventually load after some timeout on loading the ads. Leaving the page open for a period of time would lead to an error on the ad (Adobe flash error) and the UOguide page would be unresponsive and force reloading the whole page.
Recently there has been some change where the ads now load promptly (and I haven't noticed the Adobe flash error), but on each reset to run the ad (since these ads run in a loop), the focus of the page is dropped to the bottom. This makes it very frustrating to try to read the page - especially when the content is more than a few simple sentences. :(

I am using Chrome - is there a better browser option or is there a setting that can adjust the above behavior that anyone can help me find? Is someone using a different browser that doesn't exhibit this behavior?

Would it be possible to revamp the UOguide page template to include these ads in a side panel where the ads can play without interfering with content page focus? I would be willing to work on this, but have no idea where to apply a page template.

Hopefully my description makes sense.

Thanks,

Granyk

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Re: UOGuide page bottom advertisements frustrate reading.

Postby JC the Builder » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Please tell me what product and/or the website it links to so I can investigate.

Granyk
Neophyte

Postby Granyk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:18 am

One is the Pediasure (spelling?) advertisement, but this isn't the only one that has this behavior where the focus of the page is forced to the ad.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:18 am

I'll see if I can find it.

If you can, take a screenshot of the ad(s) and post it here.

Granyk
Neophyte

Postby Granyk » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:27 pm

I do not recognize the advertisement on the left, but I have confirmed that this Pediasure advertisement on the right exhibits the behavior in question. I know there is at least one other advertisement which does the same thing, but I do not know which ad it is for sure.

I know it is this ad on the right because by the random nature for which ad shows up, I have received that ad as both the right and left at the same time.

I was thinking to insert the ads into a sidebar frame where it doesn't affect the main page would be appropriate.
Attachments
pediasure_ad.png
pediasure_ad.png (200.37 KiB) Viewed 20190 times

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:47 pm

This is helpful, thanks.

JamesMew
Neophyte

View first unread post

Postby JamesMew » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:40 pm

It seems that the new version of the site is really aggressive with resetting the "View First Unread Post" button. On the older version of the site, I could log on use that button on multiple sub-forums and it would always be set for when I last logged in.

Now, if Im in the Stripertalk forum, by the time Im done and move on to look at another forum, the View First Unread Post button only goes to posts made in the last few minutes. Something with how the cookie is read/written?

Am I missing a setting, or is this the nature of the new forums?

Im sure I didnt explain that clearly. Let me know if you need me to clarify.

TheRealMALDAR
Neophyte

Postby TheRealMALDAR » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:54 am

It appears to be happening regardless of what the ad is for. It is driving me insane.

TheRealMALDAR
Neophyte

Postby TheRealMALDAR » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:48 am

I just tried to use the site again and it doesn't matter which ads are playing video clips at the bottom of the page, it constantly drags you back down to them. When trying to read something as short as a single paragraph, you have to keep jerking the screen back up to your article because the video ads constantly drag the screen back down to them. They also play in a loop, which makes it even worse. This site is wonderful but these ads at the bottom have nearly rendered it unusable.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:06 pm

I loaded about 100 pages tonight and could not locate any offending ads.

However, if you see a bad advertisement click the blue X in the top right corner, it will give you an option to report it to Google.

Please let me know if you see any giving you problems I will check again.

Return to “UOGuide Bulletin Board”