Important Status Update About UOGuide's Future

Post all your Ultima Online and UOGuide related discussion topics here.
CocoZamis
Neophyte

Re: Important Status Update About UOGuide's Future

Postby CocoZamis » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Very sad sad news.

I can understand all the reasons and the UO community will loose one of it's biggest contributor and contributions.

It is allways the same thing. Only few peoples a sacrifice their time and well see no refunds. And with refund i don't mean money but honor of their work. We have lost such a big amount of people who didn't care about this for a long time, but then, maybe after some very bitter actions, they give up.
Thoose people makes UO great, thoose peoples keep UO alive.
Maybe thoose people i miss, feel like Don Quijote but without a help like Sancho Panza, maybe they get the feeling "this is useless". I can understand it. The whole stuff was laying on your shoulders.

As for me, as a non english native writer, it try to write some stuff in the wiki i had'nt found but found it later. A Wiki is a living thing which is, without any other help, a timeeater, a consumer of life. I was glad that someone takes this burden to host the site to give questions an answer.

If or if nothing will change your mind, i would like to thank you for all the good years you gave us with the answers found in UOGuide.

Thanks and my honor for you JCBuilder.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:14 pm

I know you have been another steady contributor CocoZamis. It is great what you have done even though English is not your language.

Dlwiii
Neophyte

Postby Dlwiii » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:35 pm

JC, I really like the site, and contribute to it when I see errors, or missing things. But I contribute nowhere near the amount that would be required to keep it up to date, as I'm not that frequent a player.

Have you considered doing like Wikipedia and asking for donations once a year? If you worked with some of the larger guilds, they might stir their members to action.

Also, how about really limiting who can make updates? Don't allow anonymous, and then require that someone be registered six months or so before they can contribute. Even then, limit contributions until an established contributor that you know gives that person blessing. I think if you limited editing rights to yourself, then chose someone else, then let that person anoint someone else, perhaps we can get the site drama-free again.

Andrasta
Expert

Postby Andrasta » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:07 pm

I was still a member of Stratics Staff in February 2014 when I updated the news section for the first time. I committed to a small thing that I thought I could do and keep my word. I did not want UO Guide to look neglected. I am very sorry and I feel badly now that I did not do more. I will, as I have told you, do more should UO Guide remain online.

I believed then and now that we should be supporting all the remaining sites. Our community is small and I wish we could all work together more. I sincerely hope that UO Guide is around to celebrate the big anniversary coming up next year. It would be a real shame lose this site as its an important part of the UO Community. Thank you for keeping it up all these years and for all your hard work on it. Thanks to everyone that contributed and made it such a great resource.

Giles
Neophyte

Postby Giles » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:18 am

Great website that so many have used. I too have told many UO new comers of it.

I would donate time. Just need someone to show me how. Never even taken a screenshot.

Thanks for all the time You have put into the website

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:17 am

Giles wrote:I would donate time. Just need someone to show me how. Never even taken a screenshot.

Check out the help page, always available in the menu: http://www.uoguide.com/Help:Contents

EnergyVortex
Neophyte

Postby EnergyVortex » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:08 am

Thank you very much for all the hard work you've done, JC. I understand you, for reasons I don't know, feel disappointed or hurt by actions of some in UO community. It is a huge shame and no matter what, changes in no way the fact you've provided UO with an incredibly valuable tool for a decade. Thanks for that.thank you to all who have worked on it over the years.

Could you, J.C spill the beans about what happened with Stratics? Sometimes I overhear admins or mods or whomnot speak of it in Stratics, and it is always irritating corporate cushion talk. And also talk strictly forbidden from everybody except admins and mods to participate. I'd like to know what the **** is it that makes somebody ban a person who donated so much money to save Stratics.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:26 am

EnergyVortex wrote:Could you, J.C spill the beans about what happened with Stratics? Sometimes I overhear admins or mods or whomnot speak of it in Stratics, and it is always irritating corporate cushion talk. I'd like to know what the **** is it that makes somebody ban a person who donated so much money to save Stratics.

I am strongly considering it. When the sale happened earlier this year I took the high road in staying out of the affairs of the new "community run" Stratics. I even conveyed this bluntly and directly to them. Yet this is the second time in 10 months they are dragging UOGuide and myself through the mud.

At this point it looks like things are not going to get any better. Instead of pulling people back together, disenfranchisement is at an all time high. A few times people I don't even know see me in-game saying they wish things turned out differently. How ridiculous is that?

The Stratics staff claim they have no control over what their own staff post on their own forum. Instead of simply apologizing, it is another snide remark on how their wiki will be "owned by the community". I don't know what rose colored glasses they are wearing but Stratics feels less like an open community than ever before.

ArrothThaiel
Neophyte

Postby ArrothThaiel » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:21 am

JC the Builder wrote:
EnergyVortex wrote:...Stratics feels less like an open community than ever before.

Ownership changing from Taylor, to Ron, to the new group, really altered the site didn't it? I don't mean just the personalities, the actual content on the site too.

Right now, all Stratics has is the forums. You actually have to remember all the old info is there in order to access it. If Broadsword actually opened their own forums, the only sites the UO player base would really need would be the main UO.com and UOGuide. From that perspective, I can see why Stratics is so desperate to open a wiki. At least it would give them something to fall back on if Broadsword opens an official forum.

The comments over there about "not competing with UO Guide" is just......malarkey. That's like starting a new car company and saying you're not competing with Ford. Seriously, if someone was interested in "building" the community, why would they splinter the community by doing something someone else in the community was already doing (and doing well)? Malarkey.

You've been doing this for awhile. If UO Guide has been around this long and so many know about it, yet so few bother to post content, the Stratics wiki will most likely face the same challenges.

It is a bit unfair that Stratics gets the advantage over UO Guide through official developer interaction (especially after all that has happened), but when has life ever been fair eh?

Hopefully you can find a way through this mess and keep UO Guide going JC. But if ya can't, it's been a hell of a ride!

Drakelord
Neophyte

Postby Drakelord » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:20 am

Sad news for sure, I use the site almost daily. At 65 yrs old its hard to remember everything in this game and your site helps a lot with that, if you close it I will surely miss it. I hope that if you do decide to shut it down that you let the site continue to run as there is still a ton of useful information here for folks like me to use when playing UO.

Return to “UOGuide Bulletin Board”