AtlanticCommunityBoard.com Preservation Project

Post all your Ultima Online and UOGuide related discussion topics here.
JC the Builder
Site Admin

AtlanticCommunityBoard.com Preservation Project

Postby JC the Builder » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:16 pm

Halister Marner, the administrator for www.atlanticcommunityboard.com, has gotten in touch with me about transferring the site under the care of UOGuide. The software has gotten dangerously out of date and he does not have the time or resources to keep it running any longer. Thus, a few things will be happening:

• The web domain atlanticcommunityboard.com will be transferred over and kept running
  • The web domain atlanticmagetower.com will not be renewed, the content will be moved on to UOGuide. Currently it just redirects to another site anyway, (however if anyone wants the domain contact me, it expires in June)
  • I have been given a complete backup of all the site files and databases, so no data will be lost
  • The Atlantic Roleplay Wiki will be moved on to UOGuide (more details below)
  • The forum will be imported into this one (forum.uoguide.com) (more details below)
  • The atlanticcommunityboard website may go offline at some point, the hosting is no longer being paid for. Hopefully it stays up until the content can be finished moving. (as already stated, we have a backup so it won't disappear forever)

Atlantic Roleplay Wiki Transfer
All content pages will be transferred over to UOGuide. This was done once before with InuWiki. All pages that are copied need to be prefixed with "Atlantic:". A redirect script will be setup so all web links will remain working. So for example the page http://www.atlanticcommunityboard.com/w ... php?title=Wraiths_of_OES should become http://www.uoguide.com/Atlantic:Wraiths_of_OES. If a title needs to be changed for any reason a redirect must be in placed, for example http://www.uoguide.com/Atlantic:Wraiths_of_OES redirects to http://www.uoguide.com/Atlantic:Wraiths_of_Order_of_the_Ebon_Skull

The best way to coordinate this if multiple people want to help out is to insert a message on the old pages after copying them so everyone knows which ones have been moved already. But you need to get in touch with me so I can activate your account, it is turned off right now to prevent spammers.

Atlantic Community Forum Transfer
The timeline on when this will be complete is unclear. Here is a rough outline of what needs to be done:

1. Convert the forum database to a current version of phpBB
  2. Import the forum database into this one, while taking care to merge the user lists
  3. Write a script to redirect old topic ids to the new ones in order to preserve old web links
  4. I want to try and keep some of the old forum style, which is possible to have styles set on a per-forum basis
  5. I want to try and have the forum show up still on http://www.atlanticcommunityboard.com/forum however this may be too much work
  6. Other stuff such as the old calendar events should be preserved somewhere, maybe on the wiki

This is something I want to get done as soon as possible, however there are so many other projects I am working on right now. Honestly I don't see this happening for at least a couple months.

If anyone has comments or suggestions for this project post them here or get in touch with me.

Have a Nice day.

Andrasta
Expert

Re: AtlanticCommunityBoard.com Preservation Project

Postby Andrasta » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi JC

As discussed, put me down for this project.

SunWolf
Neophyte

Postby SunWolf » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:30 pm

I don't understand the tech junk of what all was said, but thank you for saving the history and storing it.

Molly
Neophyte

Postby Molly » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:10 am

I am going to be helping with the project. Working out the details with JC.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:38 pm

I started transferring lots of pages. All the user character pages are done. I also did some other random pages.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:07 pm

I have created a tutorial video on how to move articles:

If you need an account on the Atlantic Roleplay Wiki I have to create it manually. Just let me know and I'll set one up.

CatLyxen
Neophyte

Postby CatLyxen » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi, I am with Sunwolf on this. I don't know the tech stuff but if I can help in any way, Molly and Sunwolf know how to get a hold of me. :)

Deathwisp
Neophyte

Postby Deathwisp » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Hello there! Seeing as how the ARPC forums have gone bye bye, I am wondering how much of the site actually got migrated. I am afraid I got all this news late in the game, and I worry that i lost some of the fiction I had posted. I was a moderator for the arpc forum. Ceinwyn ab'Arawn/Joanna Weaver/Lady Mal

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:30 pm

I have a complete backup. Some day I hope to get around to putting it back online. There just hasn't been much interest though.

Return to “UOGuide Bulletin Board”