Wikia plagiarizing UOGuide

Post all your Ultima Online and UOGuide related discussion topics here.
Terilem
Neophyte

Wikia plagiarizing UOGuide

Postby Terilem » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:05 pm

Hello UOGuide community,

I just wanted to let you all know that a Wikia poweruser has been directly copying many UOGuide articles in order to generate content at ultima.wikia.com. Plenty of examples can currently be seen on its recent activity page, and I'm sure there will be more to come. This editor has been doing the same to us at wiki.ultimacodex.com, but unfortunately our creative commons license means there is nothing we can do to stop it.

However, I see that UOGuide expressly prohibits the duplication of its content without permission, so I thought you would like to know this is occurring.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Re: Wikia plagiarizing UOGuide

Postby JC the Builder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. I posted a couple messages on the administrator pages of that site. But there is not really much else that can be done.

Terilem
Neophyte

Postby Terilem » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:41 pm

No worries. Unfortunately there isn't really an admin presence anymore; the community that originated there left five years ago to form our own independent wiki, and it has largely been a ghost town ever since. We wanted to shut it down behind us, but Wikia wouldn't allow it.

I agree, there's ultimately not much that can be done if that person continues. Thank you for speaking up over there; hopefully they'll listen to reason.

Fenyx
Neophyte

Postby Fenyx » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:12 am

What is the license that UOGuide is under? For example wiki.ultimacodex.com is under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Fenyx
Neophyte

Postby Fenyx » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:16 am

I ask because under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ he is allowed to copy from wiki.ultimacodex.com. (from my understanding at least) and we are cc by-sa because we inherited it from our move from Wikia.

Depending on UOGuide's license there may be something I can do.

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:19 pm

I don't really follow internet licensing. I just follow the license that it isn't a nice thing to do to copy another website.

Return to “UOGuide Bulletin Board”