Original UO damage bonus properties?

Post all your Ultima Online and UOGuide related discussion topics here.
Tancred RedStar
Expert

Original UO damage bonus properties?

Postby Tancred RedStar » Sat May 05, 2012 10:23 am

Today I created the Ruin, Force and Might topics pages and updated Power and Vanquishing.

As I'm not quite the ultimate UO scholar, I noticed Vanquishing being remembered as +9 damage bonus to weapons but I also have an old Prima guide that says it was only +5.

Does anyone know what they really were? Perhaps they got bumped up a bit later?(but of course well before Age of Shadows)

Other data from old Prima guide:
Ruin +1
Might +2
Force +3
Power +4

zoghistorian
Neophyte

Re: Original UO damage bonus properties?

Postby zoghistorian » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Ruin was +1, might +3, force +5, power +7, vanquishing +9. These were added to base damage, before tactics and anatomy were figured in. Anatomy's bonus didn't come until 1999 with the first major PvP overhaul, which included significant changes on weapon speed. Before, halberds and viking swords weren't any slower than katanas. Once weapons had true differences in speed, because the magical damage bonuses were absolute numbers, not percentages, vanquishing meant much more on a fast weapon like a katana.

Some trivia: Before AoS showed full item properties, exceptional weapons had a 20% damage bonus, about equivalent to might. The "Exceptional" tag didn't come about until 1999, when GM smiths were able to "mark" their items. Prior to the exceptional tag, sometimes you bought a suit of armor only to find it was regular AR30, not AR33. AR36 was the player-crafted maximum when exceptional breastplates became possible in 1999.

Tancred RedStar
Expert

Re: Original UO damage bonus properties?

Postby Tancred RedStar » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:29 pm

You must have an amazing memory! Thank you for sharing the info, I vaguely remember some of those changes but not the numbers behind them.

Return to “UOGuide Bulletin Board”