Wiki Capitalization and Plural Usage

Post all your Ultima Online and UOGuide related discussion topics here.
Alianin
Journeyman

Wiki Capitalization and Plural Usage

Postby Alianin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Hello there! Newly returned old wiki user here with a lot more wiki experience under my belt. I've got a couple of things I'd like to ask about before making some massive changes on the wiki.

Capitalization of article titles. I've noticed that most, if not all, articles use uppercase first letters for every word of a title. Common wiki guidelines say to use lowercase after the first word unless it's a proper noun. So we'd capitalize characters/npcs, items, quests, etc. but leave terms, etc. lowercase.

Pluralization of article titles. Once again, I've noticed the plural form of words being used in article names. There are a few allowable exceptions, but for the most part these should be singular. This mostly helps with internal wiki linking.

If nobody has any qualms about me making these changes, I'll get started on cleaning articles up. Thanks!
House of Corvus
Alianin ~ Mira

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Re: Wiki Capitalization and Plural Usage

Postby JC the Builder » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:44 am

Hello Alianin, it is nice to see an old contributor returning.

If you are going to change a page name you need to leave a redirect to the new page.

Alianin
Journeyman

Postby Alianin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:27 pm

Ideally I'd like to rename (move) the old page and just clean up the links that pointed to the old page. That way we don't have a whole slew of unnecessary redirects.
House of Corvus
Alianin ~ Mira

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:52 pm

The issue is not having pages in UOGuide locate the new article name, it is all the links on other websites which would become broken without a redirect. I assume you are talking about renaming pages which are almost as old as UOGuide itself. That would be a lot of broken links.

Alianin
Journeyman

Postby Alianin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Ah, I see what you mean. I guess that can't be helped then. Would this only apply to articles, not files and categories?
House of Corvus
Alianin ~ Mira

JC the Builder
Site Admin

Postby JC the Builder » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:55 pm

For files, I don't think it is worthwhile to go renaming them unless they are really poorly named and not identifiable. But if it is "a_goat.jpg" vs "goat.jpg", there is a chance it is used elsewhere.

As for categories, you would have to give some examples of what ones you want to rename.

Return to “UOGuide Bulletin Board”